On June 16th, Br Brennan visited us to talk about life in St. Corban’s back when he was a principal (1992-1998). He told us that St. Corban’s began life in the Moat theatre. The school building was built in 1953, and opened its doors in 1954. The building only had 8 classrooms and in 1987 the newer part of the school was built. Back then, there were up to 50 pupils in each classroom!! They did not have interactive whiteboards, but a huge blackboard instead. They didn’t have the computer lab nor the ipads. They had one TV that sat on a trolley and was shared among all the classes. The prefabs were not there back then.
Br. Brennan brought us on an interesting tour of the school, showing us two plaques. One plaque has the school’s name and the date it was built on it. The second is a plaque celebrating the school’s 50th anniversary. He also showed us a picture of Edmund Rice, the founder of the Christian Brother's schools.
We really enjoyed his visit and learnt lots about the history of our school.
Alex B and Gavin
Our blog is maintained by members of staff as well as students (under staff supervision). We hope you enjoy our posts!